Remember when it rained

Wash away the thoughts inside
That keep my mind away from you


Why does music affect me so much? I s'pose some people are just musically inclined and others aren't, but still. It's... weird... but cool. Josh Groban's Remember When It Rained affects me like nothing else... except Ralph Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis... and God Bless America. But there's a story that goes with that last one.

Remember When It Rained... is... this song. First, Josh Groban's voice gives me goosebumps ANYWAY, but this music is just incredible. Plus it has piano and who can deny I'm a piano addict. ;-P It's not so much the lyrics... just the combination of his voice and the music sends me off to music heaven.

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis is my all-time favorite classical piece. Ever. Ralph Vaughan Williams was a 20th Century composer from England... I love all his stuff, but this piece is what turned me on to him. It's entirely strings (in and of itself awesome), separated into two orchestra groups. They basically serenade each other through the entire piece with cello and violin solos. Gah, cellos are so relaxing. It's amazing.

God Bless America... the story. I was watching the news on the evening of 9/11, and a lot of the senators (it might've been the entire senate, I'm not sure) were outside giving some sort of news conference or something, I don't remember exactly. After they finished and Fox was about to cut out, they spontaneously began singing God Bless America. I remember being absolutely chilled to the bone. It was just so fitting and beautiful. Ever since then the song hasn't failed to give me goosebumps and 9/11 flashbacks.

I dunno what all that was... just some sort of musical ramble, I s'pose, but hey. Rambling about music is one of my talents. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home